My fashionistas, a black maxi is a wardrobe essential for every woman, regardless of size or shape. Therefore, it is almost impossible to leave your home for a holiday without this most iconic piece of clothing- be it Summer or Spring or those seasons of transitions. I have donned this look in my most recent holiday in Argentina. It is supposed to be Spring time there now. Spring in the UK is moderately cold-ish at night and mostly sunny and pleasant during the day. So, getting to wear cheerful and colorful clothes in Spring time is my favorite way of celebrating the season. This year, I got to sport Spring fashion twice- one in the UK in March-April and just couple weeks ago again in Argentina. The moment we put our foot in Buenos Aires, I saw everyone wearing layers of (black) winter clothes and also if I’m allowed to categorize- very boring ones. If you had read my last post before leaving for South America here, you know that this Asos tall bandeau maxi dress was in my suitcase on its way to Argentina. And if you had read the very first post on South America under the category of Voyage, you know as well that La Boca was my first itinerary in Buenos Aires. For a day-out, I opted for a black maxi dress knowing this will bring the neutrality against the rainbow colored houses in La Boca area of Buenos Aires, similarly at night, even when there is a chill in the early Spring-air of Buenos Aires, I would like to have a great, comfortable flowy maxi dress layered with a blanket sized woolen kimono. A black maxi dress, hence, is my go-to outfit when on holiday.The colour is slimming (and if you have kids, it hides stains from little Vegemite fingers). A good cut black maxi dress will smooth over and disguise any lumps and bumps. It’s super versatile, with the ability to be dressed up or down with a few simple accessories. And it’ll hide your legs if you’ve not had time to shave!
Plus, it’s one of the most trans-seasonal items you can own. Stripped back it’s a chic, classic summer look. Yet with a few clever layers, it can stay on high-rotation throughout the cooler months.
So instead of just focusing on summer styling for your black maxi dress, I’m also sharing ideas drawn from this look to take you through all seasons of the year. There’s also a bunch of shopping links so you can recreate these looks yourself if you don’t already have some of the items tucked away.
- Team your black maxi dress with tiny pops of color with stacks of handmade bangles by Aarong Bangladesh
- A bright beaded pair of sandals from Primark will keep the look fresh while still on budget.
- Get cozy with layers of knit or blanket kimonos from NewLook.
- Team with a bold over-sized tote by Elizabeth Arden (Remember the freebies? Check here ) in the same color of your sandals and bangles to give you the perfect pizzazz to your plain outfit.
- Top it with a high-bun and style it up with a pretty hair bows from Claire’s .
- Belt it and drape it over or under a long over-sized blanket kimono or otherwise
- Keep the off-shoulder maxi dress clean with a tribal necklace from Jatra